Maui – Part 2

Thursday, while waiting in line for heaven, aka breakfast, I was talking to my friend Cynthia. She had planned to scuba dive both Friday AND Saturday, and was planning on going solo. I happen to be certified (which I did when I was about 19). I had NEVER been in open water since my certification, and I’m not sure that Blue Lake, located in beautiful Wendover, really counts as open water. After chatting about it a little bit I decided that I would join her for Fridays dive.

The next morning I was nervous but excited, and pretty tired after some serious jet lag and having to wake up at 5 am. But my sleep deprivation was a non-issue when we got on the boat. Diving in an ocean is a WHOLE different ball game than what I had previously experienced… pathetic in comparison. I could fill up 10 posts with all of the details, but to sum it up… it was one of the coolest things I have ever done! Amazing. Life-changing. Something I am sooooo glad I did. Here are some photos of the dive:

After our phenomenal dive, we headed back to the hotel for some poolside relaxation. I was still lobster red from the day before, so I put on my spf 50 and just enjoyed the warmth of the sun while I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which about 234 other people at the hotel were reading :).  The rest of the girls joined us and then we headed into town for another delicious meal, statue harassment, toad catching (just me… the ladies looked and scremed), and laughs before bed.

Saturday some of us decided to hit our favorite breakfast spot again, which I forgot to mention is called The Gazebo Restaurant, while others decided to do the rip line, and 2 others did a volcano bike ride, where at 2 am they left to bike down a volcano, watch the sunrise (the pictures I’ve seen are amazing), and bike down some more. I spent the morning/afternoon enjoying the beach with my friend Strawberri (yes, that is her real name), and then met up with everyone else later on. Carlie, Tammi, and I entered a water slide competition where speed was the goal. Our “heat” was  for adults only. We were the only women that entered and were competing against about 5 young men (around 18-24 yrs old). I totally expected the men to win but… FIRST, SECOND, and THIRD!!! YAHOO! We were so excited to kick butt and take names, and we also won free shaved ice :).

The first day in Hawaii we made reservations for Saturday night at a place that we were told was the best entertainment on the island, Warren and Annabelle’s magic show. It was SO much fun. I really didn’t know what to expect, but everyone we spoke to beforehand raved about it, and it did not fail to deliver. Strawberri ended up being chosen to assist one of the magicians. FUN FUN!

Sunday morning we headed to, yes, you guessed it, the Gazebo for our favorite pancakes and rice. We then headed back to our room to pack, check out, load all of our crap in 2 of our friends room (who had their room until Monday morning), get in our suits and head down to the pool to swim, walk on the beach, and try to soak in as much sun and fun we could before we had to leave for a dinner reservation followed by a flight home.

While I was out at the pool, I noticed this cute little lizard. About 4 feet away a much larger lizard came out of the bushes. I loved it, because I happen to be one of those crazy people who love animals… all animals. The big lizard started running across the walkway and I thought, “oh, how cute. He’s running over to say hi to his little friend”. If cute means that the little guy was lunch. The bigger lizard ran up to the little guy and grabbed him in his mouth. I quickly poked the big lizard and he let the little one go. Pretty exciting stuff :).Here’s a picture of before the “attack”.

The night we left ee ate at the famous Mama’s Fish House, where we had made reservations even before we left on our trip. Ummmm, HOLY CRUD BALLS it was good. As in the best Ahi Tuna steak I’ve ever had. And the view and setting was absolutely breathtaking. The whole experience was surreal.

The plane home was a little rough. Our flight left 45 minutes late, 10:40 Hawaii time, and I couldn’t sleep AT ALL during the 5 hour flight, mostly because I could not get comfortable. I was tempted but didn’t put a plastic bag over my head ;). We then had a short layover in L.A., and had a 2 hour flight home to Salt Lake City.

I missed my hubby and kids a lot, and was ready to get home to them, but the end of the trip was bittersweet. We all had a wonderful time and were a little sad to say goodbye and end our awesome time together. But all good things must come to an end and it was nice to be home again to sleep in my own bed and in the arms of Mr. N.

I’m so incredibly grateful to my amazing friend Maree who made this trip possible. I’m not sure I’m worthy of such generous and great people in my life, but as long as they’ll have me, I’m theirs :). This group of friends/women made the trip what it was… unforgettable and what I needed. It was nothing short of amazing!

I appreciate everyone who helped out with the kids (Mom & Dad, Celeste & Patrick, and Carla, for being willing to watch the twins even though plans changed). And a huge thanks to Greg who handled everything at home and made it so I could relax while I was away and not worry about what was happening at home.


Explore posts in the same categories: Friends, Good Times, Random Stuff, YES!

One Comment on “Maui – Part 2”

  1. Carla Says:

    JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS!!! Looks like so much fun. So glad you got to go. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: